Week 21: workouts

This week was special for a few reasons.  First and foremost was that my family was in town for Adam’s and my engagement party on Saturday!  Friday evening through Sunday night was spent enjoying their company and the fellowship of shared family gatherings.  It was a really wonderful weekend.  It was also the week before my first-ever race – the 5k Memorial Day run hosted by Boston Street Running.  And to top it all off, the gym was closed all week for graduation festivities and maintenance work.

The goal was to run three 5k’s during the week, then take the weekend off to spend time with family and let my legs rest.  On Monday I intended to run a familiar 5k loop around campus, but I hit multiple dead ends due to construction on Charles Street.  I managed to work it out, but at the end of the run I got confused and stopped after 3.0 miles rather than the 3.1 miles that constitutes a 5k.  I didn’t realize it until I was done stretching, so there was nothing I could do.  I ran the 3 miles in 26:30 which was fast for me.  Apparently the increased fitness I experienced last week was still there.

On Tuesday I just did my usual ab workout at home and spent the morning writing last week’s workout week-in-review.

wednesday-runWednesday was another 5k, this time on a route up north – the one I ran in 28:08 last week.  A half mile into the run, another runner came up behind me from a side street.  I decided I’d try to keep the pace strong and stay in front of her as long as I could.  It was fun to imagine I was in a race and to see if I could will myself to go faster – the answer: not really.  I had to work for it, but I finished the 5k in 27:11, close to the pace I ran on the flat, open course at Montebello last week.

Thursday I wanted to take it easy, but I also wanted to join Adam at the track.  Since the gym was closed, I decided to join him to enjoy the fresh air, stretch my legs, and provide moral support.  While he did some really tough intervals, I walked 2 miles around the track barefoot.

Friday was my last day to run before the race on Monday, and I was feeling the pressure.  The past two weeks, I’d put up some really good times and I didn’t feel like hurting the way I did on Wednesday.  Adam convinced me to take it easy and to enjoy the run.  This time I ran to Druid Hill park and back which has a decent hill right before the turn-around.  I kept the pace comfortable and really did enjoy it.  Several people even said good morning as I passed.  At a comfortable pace, I was able to finish the 5k in 28:37.  

After that run on Friday, I was occupied by a visit by my advisor (currently halfway across the world on sabbatical), then my family’s visit.  I didn’t even have a chance to think twice about missing my long run on the weekend.  Allergies were killing me on Sunday, so I was a little worried about the race the next morning, but it all worked out.  I’ll save those details for another post.  All in all it was an amazing week, even workout-wise!