Week 34: workouts

This week we returned from our busy but wonderful trip to Milwaukee and various places in Michigan.  Monday was my first day running in well over a week and it was a good reminder regarding the importance of consistency in training.

On Monday I set out for what I knew would be a difficult run.  I was feeling a little sick the day before so I set out to run two miles instead of the usual three.  With the upcoming travel, too, I figured more days of slightly less running would be a good way to go.  I took my usual route up north and my legs felt really tired.  I struggled with some light-headedness and heartburn, but I finished the 2 miles in 19:26.  Even though it wasn’t comfortable while I was running, I very much enjoyed going for a run before breakfast.  That quiet time in the morning, the feeling of accomplishment, and the feeling of well-being later in the morning are part of my home routine – something I missed while traveling.

I felt a little better for my run on Tuesday.  This time I took a route to the south and ran 2 miles in 19:52.  I had cramps for most of the time and the run still wasn’t pleasant, but it was a far cry from the discomfort I felt when I first started running two years ago.  A short break can set me back a bit but it also serves as a reminder of how far I’ve come.

On Wednesday I woke up early to run before we left for Ocean City to vacation with Adam’s family, but my calves were sore so I opted to take the day off instead.

ocean-cityThursday was our first whole day in Ocean City and I started the day off right with a short run with Abbey and Shane.  The pace felt fast, but my breathing wasn’t heavy as we ran along the main street.  It seemed like just the right effort.  We finished these 2 miles in 19:08.

I was on my own for my Friday morning run along the same route as the day before.  I felt pretty good so I pushed the pace a little.  I felt like I was flying – it was great.  My heart rate was high (above 180 for at least half and I topped out at 190).  With that effort I ran the 2 miles in 17:36.  The time surprised me a bit, but I was glad to see the extra effort pay off.

Saturday morning I was lucky enough to have Adam join me on my run.  I was feeling a little tired and sore from the day before so I didn’t feel inclined to push it.  We ran a relatively comfortable pace and finished the 2 miles in 19:34.

By Sunday I was pretty tired so I took the day off and let my legs rest a little.

Overall, I’m really happy that I managed to run most days this week, even though we were on vacation.  It was a great way to start the morning and it set me up well for future workouts.  Staying in one place definitely helped, but I’ll be sure to work in at least a couple runs next time I’m away from home.  Exercise/running is part of my life now and there’s no need to leave that at home!