Week 41: workouts

There’s something about this time of year that makes me want to take it a bit easier.  Don’t get me wrong: I really love the sense of accomplishment I feel when I’ve finished a week full of solid workouts.  Those weeks are probably when I feel at my strongest and happiest, when everything is balanced and less stressful.  But life isn’t always easy sailing.

A large part of my desire to take it easy is the fact that it’s Adam’s off-season, so when he’s willing to skip a workout I’m right there with him.  We appreciate this time while it lasts.  Come January, we’ll be getting up early and making it work.  For now, though, it’s time to take things slow and enjoy some down time.

Monday morning I slept in and took it easy.

When I woke on Tuesday morning at 5am, I briefly considered going back to bed, but I decided that my day would be better if I began with a swim.  It was the coldest it’s been in a while – low 50’s – but the indoor pool was still open to the cold outdoor air.  I didn’t spend much time getting ready before I hopped in to the (thankfully!) heated pool and began my warm up.  I swam 200m, 100m kick, 50m one-arm, 50m catch-up, 8x50m, and 8×25.  Adam was right there with me even though he was freezing (since he wasn’t swimming hard to keep warm).  He taught me how to enter the water harder/deeper with each stroke while keeping my arms more to the outside.  This felt much more natural and I felt better able to leverage my strength.  It’s something I’ll need to keep working on.  After jumping out of the pool I couldn’t stop sneezing and this continued through most of the day, perhaps due to allergens in the water.

Wednesday morning I slept in again.  Well, I did actually get dressed for a lifting workout and made it all the way down to the car before Adam and I decided we’d rather sleep in instead.  Like I said, it’s that time of year.  I think we both benefited from the extra sleep.

I am really loving my swim workouts, though, so I woke at 5am once again on Thursday to swim.  It was chilly and rainy which, I think, kept many people from joining us at the pool.  It was so quiet and peaceful by ourselves.  The workout itself felt easier, too.  Unlike Tuesday where I was gasping for breath at the end of each repetition, this time it just felt easy.  I swam 200m, 100m kick, 50m one-arm, 50m catch-up, 200m, 2x100m, 4x50m, 100m kick, and 100m free.  It probably felt easier because I was better able to engage my muscles by entering the water deeper and crossing over less when reaching forward.  I was really happy when Adam said my form was looking better.  I could feel the difference for myself.  My form still needs lots of work, but it was great to have that positive feedback.

Friday morning I was looking forward to a lifting workout before we began a road trip to Indiana, but we stayed out late the night before with a good friend and it just didn’t make sense to get up early.  We spent 10.5 hours in the car later that day, so I didn’t get any kind of exercise – not even the walking around.  It’s amazing how being so sedentary can really wear you out.

Saturday and Sunday were spent celebrating the wedding of one of my best friends and then making our way back to Baltimore.  It was more time in the car, but I’m glad we were able to make it.  We could have found time to work out, but it just wasn’t high on the priority list.  I think too much driving time and lack of “our food” made it sound unappealing.  Instead it was a weekend of rest and celebration.  Not a bad combination if you ask me.